Opinions of General Office of the People’s Government of Dalian on Further Strengthening the Protection and Management of Spotted Seals
The people's governments of all districts, cities and counties, the administrative committees of all pilot districts, all relevant departments of the municipal government and all relevant units:
The spotted seal is the finned marine mammals and is mainly distributed in the Bohai Sea and the Yellow Sea in China. The Liaodong Bay Ice Zone is the southernmost of the eight spotted seal breeding areas in the world. At present, there are about 2,000 spotted seal populations in Liaodong Bay. Spotted seals in Liaodong Bay have unique genetic genes and are of great significance in biodiversity conservation. In order to further strengthen the protection and management of spotted seals and their habitats, effectively protect marine biodiversity, promote the construction of ecological civilization and promote the harmonious development of human beings and nature, the following opinions are hereby put forward with the consent of the municipal government:
First, establishing and improving the leadership coordination mechanism
To strengthen the leadership and overall coordination, our government focuses on related issues including the protection and management of spotted seals and the promotion of related work. The Dalian Spotted Seal Protection and Management Leading Group was set up with the deputy mayor in charge as the leader and the deputy secretary-general in charge of the municipal government as the deputy leader. The member units are composed of Propaganda Department of CPC Municipal Committee, Dalian Development and Reform Commission, Dalian Municipal Bureau of Ecology and Environment, Dalian Public Security Bureau, Dalian Municipal Bureau of Finance, Dalian Bureau of Natural Resources, Municipal Bureau of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, Administration for Market Regulation, Dalian Municipal Bureau of Transport, First Detachment of China Marine Police, Municipal Natural Resources Affairs Service Center, Municipal Agricultural and Rural Development Service Center and other departments, as well as territorial governments (administrative committees) such as Governments of Lvshunkou District, Ganjingzi District, Wafangdian, Jinpu New District Administrative Committee, Changxing Island Economic Zone Administrative Committee, etc. The office of the Leading Group is located in Dalian Spotted Seal National Nature Reserve Administration (hereinafter referred to as the Reserve Administration), which is responsible for the daily work of the leading group.
Second, the construction of protection and management responsibility system
All relevant departments and governments of districts and cities(administrative committees) should strengthen coordination and cooperation, carry out respective duties and do your best to protect and manage spotted seals.
1. Municipal Bureau of Agriculture and Rural Affairs and Rural Development Service Center are responsible for the maritime law enforcement and supervision work in the sea areas and areas where spotted seals mainly inhabit. They supervise, guide and organize the relevant departments of the municipal governments (administrative committees) to do a good job in the protection of spotted seals in the jurisdiction, and crack down on illegal hunting, killing, purchasing and using of spotted seals and their products and other illegal acts throughout the city, as well as the rescue of spotted seals; they are also responsible for coordinating the municipal market supervision and other departments, formulating supervision and inspection systems, jointly carrying out special inspection activities in zoos, hotels, restaurants, aquariums and other places, standardizing the management of captive seals, and investigating and punishing illegal acts of illegal artificial breeding, management, utilization and transportation of spotted seals without permission.
2. Dalian Bureau of Natural Resources and the Municipal Natural Resources Affairs Service Center are responsible for supervising the municipal governments (administrative committees) in each district to carry out their main responsibilities, pushing forward the rectification of the illegal problems in the spotted seal reserve on time, strengthening the supervision of the spotted seal reserve and carrying out protection publicity work. The reserve management bureau is responsible for the daily patrol work of the spotted seal reserve, finding and dealing with illegal problems in the reserve in a timely manner, and organizing scientific research work such as resource investigation and ecological monitoring of the reserve.
3. Organs of public security at all levels are responsible for the detection of criminal cases of illegal hunting of spotted seals, timely disclosure of the case and the progress of investigation to the public according to law, and formation of public opinion shock. They should strengthen the cooperation with agricultural and rural departments of the district and municipal governments (administrative committees) and deploy police forces to participate in joint law enforcement during key periods of spotted seal protection.
4. The Municipal Administration for Market Regulation is responsible for coordinating the Municipal Agricultural and Rural Bureau and jointly supervising and investigating illegal acts involving the processing, selling of spotted seals and their products. Moreover, they should strengthen cooperation with agricultural and rural areas, public security and other departments and increase supervision and inspection of zoos, hotels, restaurants, aquariums and other places.
5. District municipal government (CMC) shall assume the territorial main responsibility and be responsible for the protection and daily publicity of spotted seals in this area; They should responsible for coordinating relevant departments in the territory to set up a joint law enforcement team to step up law enforcement inspections in the sea areas, coastlines, ports and bays under its jurisdiction during key periods of spotted seal protection, and immediately investigate and deal with any illegal acts found. They will establish a registration system for ships entering and leaving ports, intensify the investigation of key areas, suspicious ships and personnel, and form a high-pressure situation for the protection and management of spotted seals.
Third, improving the grassroots protection network
Each district municipal government (administrative committee) shall establish a grid management system and mechanism for the protection of spotted seals, implement dynamic and all-round management. The grass-roots grid is composed of towns (streets) and villages (communities), of which towns (streets) are primary grids and villages (communities) are secondary grids. Each grid is set up with 3-5 grid leaders and network members, who are responsible for carrying out daily spot seal protection inspections and publicity and education in coordination with the municipal governments (administrative committees) of all districts. The district and municipal governments (administrative committees) shall provide financial support for grid workers at all levels, and organize grid workers to carry out regular training on popular science knowledge of spotted seals and relevant laws and regulations.
Fourth, strengthening the linkage supervision mechanism
At the beginning of every year, the Municipal Bureau of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, in conjunction with the municipal natural resources bureau, formulates the city's special enforcement action plan for the protection of spotted seals in winter. the municipal agricultural and rural, natural resources, public security, market supervision and other departments, as well as district and municipal governments (administrative committees) are organized and coordinated in a unified way to implement the responsibility for the protection of spotted seals. joint special enforcement actions are carried out to strengthen the supervision of key sea and land areas and key time periods, step up shoreline inspections, fishing vessel supervision and publicity and education, and severely crack down on illegal hunting and killing of spotted seals. At the same time, strengthen communication and cooperation with Panjin, Yingkou and other cities and explore the establishment of a cross-regional linkage regulatory mechanism for the protection of spotted seals.
Changxing Island is a key prevention and control area for illegal hunting and killing of spotted seals. During the critical period of breeding and breeding of spotted seals, the Changxing Island Economic Zone Management Committee will organize round-the-clock law enforcement inspections to strictly guard key harbors and coastlines and resolutely put an end to illegal hunting and killing of spotted seals.
Fifth, the protection of key periods and regional work
Winter is the key periods for protection of spotted seals to breed and rear. From January 10th to April 30th, all relevant departments and district governments (administrative committees) shall organize and carry out a series of special actions for the protection of spotted seals.
First stage (publicity and education): From January 10th to January 19th, activities such as the promotion of spotted seal protection into fishing areas, communities, school districts and scenic spots are actively carried out through various forms such as posting notices, hanging banners, making publicity boards and distributing publicity materials.
Second stage (key control): From January 20th to the end of February, the focus is on monitoring and patrolling the breeding habitat of spotted seals, carrying out joint law enforcement inspection, cracking down on illegal hunting and killing of spotted seals, and actively carrying out rescue, rescue and treatment of spotted seals.
Third stage (strict management): from March 1st to April 30th, the law enforcement and inspection work will continue to be strengthened in the main breeding habitat, key sea areas, and important ports and docks of spotted seals, and the inspection frequency of various operating vessels will be increased. We shall focus on monitoring the population status and migration of spotted seals, and actively carry out rescue, rescue and treatment of spotted seals.
Sixth, increasing publicity and education efforts
All relevant departments, districts and municipal governments (administrative committees) shall, in combination with special law enforcement actions in winter, carry out intensive publicity activities for the protection of spotted seals. Through posting announcements in important ports, harbors with dense ships and surrounding villages and markets, issuing A Letter to Fishermen, brochures on the protection of spotted seals, and holding seminars for villagers and fishermen and so on, residents along the coast of the spotted seal reserve, especially fishing boat owners and their families, are taught about the protection of spotted seals, the relevant laws and regulations of the reserve, and the reward and reporting policies, so as to raise the awareness of the masses about the protection of spotted seals and to supervise and report their enthusiasm.
On March 1st (when the strict management stage is entered) and during the national popular science promotion month for aquatic wildlife protection, the municipal agricultural and rural bureau shall coordinate and organize the municipal governments (administrative committees) and the protected area administration to carry out publicity activities such as "international seal day" in Dalian natural museum, st Asia ocean world, tiger beach polar museum, fishing port docks, primary and secondary schools and other places. At the same time, through "entering scenic spots, communities, school districts and fishing areas" and other forms, citizens' awareness of aquatic wildlife protection will be further improved. The Municipal Bureau of Agriculture and Rural Affairs shall, in conjunction with the Bureau of Protected Areas, formulate a perfect reward system for spotted seal rescue to enhance the enthusiasm of the masses to participate in the protection of spotted seals.
Seventh, strengthening the basic capacity building of spotted seal reserve
According to the actual needs of the spotted seal protection work, the Reserve Management Bureau should be equipped with necessary patrol facilities and equipment such as patrol vehicles, unmanned aerial vehicles and marine patrol vessels (civilian fishing boats can be rented). Construction of real-time dynamic monitoring system for protected areas; To further improve the protected areas boundary markers, boundary markers and billboards and other facilities and regular maintenance. The municipal governments (administrative committees) of all districts shall set up permanent warning signs for the protection and management of spotted seals in important ports, bays, fishing villages and other important areas within their jurisdiction, and do a good job in routine maintenance. The necessary personnel can be supplemented by recruiting government employees.
Eighth, carrying out resource investigation and scientific research
The Reserve Administration should strengthen cooperation with scientific research institutes to carry out investigations and studies on the distribution of resources, population quantity and migration routes of spotted seals. They shall timely use unmanned aerial vehicles and other means to investigate spotted seal resources in the northern ice zone of Liaodong Bay, and irregularly monitor the number and behavior of spotted seals at landing sites such as Ant Island and Huping Island in the reserve, so as to further grasp the distribution, migration route and activity law of spotted seal resources and provide scientific basis for specific protection work.
Ninth, improving the emergency rescue mechanism
The Municipal Bureau of Agriculture and Rural Affairs shall take the lead in organizing relevant departments and units to establish a rescue network for spotted seals, formulate rescue methods and plans, coordinate and carry out rescue work for spotted seals, and do their best to rescue and strive for the best rescue effect. They will strengthen the registration, filing and scientific management of rescued spotted seals, and organize timely field release activities of spotted seals based on their physical signs.
Tenth, in accordance with the law to crack down on illegal hunting and killing of spotted seals
We will establish and improve the public supervision and reporting system for the protection of spotted seals and improve the public participation mechanism. Public security organs, procuratorates, people's courts and other departments carry out their respective duties and cooperate with each other to crack down on illegal hunting and killing of spotted seals. The public security organs should step up the investigation and handling of cases, thoroughly investigate the clues of the cases, and resolutely turn the spotted seal crime cases into iron cases so that the criminals can be properly punished and the deterrent effect must be achieved.
General Office of the People’s Government of Dalian
28th April 2019